Just when the countries all around the world are fighting the deadly disease, coronavirus which came from China, another disease has broken out from the same country.
According to China’s Global Times, a man from Yunnan Province of the country has died after tested positive for hantavirus.
The man died while on his way back to Shandong Province for work on a bus on Monday. The 32 other people on the bus were also tested for the virus.
What You Need To Know About Hantavirus
Hantaviruses are a family of viruses that are spread mainly by rodents and can cause varied diseases in people.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the disease is not airborne and can only spread to people if they come in contact with urine, feces, and saliva of rodents and less frequently by a bite from an infected host.
It can cause hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) and hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS).
Note: Rodent is a gnawing mammal of an order that includes rats, mice, squirrels, hamsters, porcupines, and their relatives.
People Can Become Infected With A Hantavirus When They:
Inhale virus particles from rodent urine, droppings or saliva that have been released into the air (this can happen when rodent waste is stirred up from vacuuming or sweeping).
Touch objects or eat food contaminated with the urine, droppings or saliva of infected rodents
Bitten by a rodent infected with a hantavirus (this is rare)
Note: With the exception of the Andes hantavirus, the virus does not spread through person-to-person contact.
Symptoms of hantavirus
Early symptoms of HPS include fatigue, fever, and muscle aches, along with headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems.
If left untreated, it can lead to coughing and shortness of breath and can be fatal, with a mortality rate of 38 percent.
It can also cause low blood pressure, acute shock, vascular leakage, and acute kidney failure.
Meanwhile, Rodent population control is the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infections